For more information, see the NSF website: https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2018/nsf18522/nsf18522.htm
Letter of Intent Due Dates
Excellence in Research Projects: January 16, 2018
Research Initiation Awards and Excellence in Research Projects: July 24, 2018
Targeted Infusion Projects, Broadening Participation Research Projects, Implementation Projects, ACE Implementation Projects: September 04, 2018
Full Proposal Deadlines
Excellence in Research Projects: March 01, 2018
Research Initiation Awards and Excellence in Research Projects: October 02, 2018
Targeted Infusion Projects, Broadening Participation Research Projects, Implementation Projects, ACE Implementation Projects: November 27, 2018
Broadening Participation Research Centers: November 19, 2019
HBCU-UP provides awards to strengthen STEM undergraduate education and research at HBCUs.
- The new HBCU Excellence in Research (EiR) component supports projects that enable STEM and STEM education faculty to further develop research capacity at HBCUs and to conduct research.
- Targeted Infusion Projects (TIP) provide support to achieve a short-term, well-defined goal for improving the quality of undergraduate STEM education at HBCUs.
- Broadening Participation Research (BPR) in STEM Education projects provide support for research that seeks to create and study new theory-driven models and innovations related to the participation and success of underrepresented groups in STEM undergraduate education.
- Research Initiation Awards (RIA) provide support for STEM faculty with no prior or recent research funding to pursue research at the home institution, a NSF-funded research center, a research intensive institution, or a national laboratory.
- Implementation Projects (IMP) design, implement, study, and assess comprehensive institutional efforts for increasing the number of students receiving undergraduate degrees in STEM and enhancing the quality of their preparation by strengthening STEM education and research. Within this track, Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE) Implementation Projects are intended for HBCUs with exemplary achievements and established institutionalized foundations from previous Implementation Project grants.
- Broadening Participation Research Centers (BPRC) provide support to conduct broadening participation research at institutions that have held three rounds of Implementation or ACE Implementation Projects and with demonstrated capability to conduct broadening participation research.