Systems and HPC Specialist
Doane University, named a 2016 “Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education, invites applications for the position of Part-time Systems HPC Specialist at its nationally recognized undergraduate campus in Crete, Nebraska.
This is a 20 hour/week position that will work as part of the ITS team to provide
systems support specific the learning environment, training and computational expertise for High Performance Computing (HPC) and data intensive applications used in coursework and the research activities for the Math and Sciences division.
The position will be physically located in the Lied Math and Sciences building to
facilitate the timely resolution of incidents and requests for support. This is a grant funded position with duration of 2 years; with the opportunity of up to 5 years, pending review.
Bachelor’s degree in a related technical, scientific, or engineering discipline; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of high performance computing systems; scalable, parallel architectures; and basic aspects of the UNIX operating system.
- Knowledge of advanced data storage technologies and high-speed network interfaces.
- Ability to make technical design decisions involving software or hardware implementation strategies.
- Ability to monitor system usage and performance statistics and to understand the impacts of operating system tuning parameters.
- Working knowledge of one or more high-level programming languages suchas C, C++, or Java.
- Expert knowledge of one or more scripting languages such as csh, Bash, perl,Python, etc.
- Skill in the installation and configuration of operating systems and application software.
- A comprehensive knowledge of Linux operating system internals and multiple high performance computing architectures.
- Knowledge of advanced problem resolution procedures, testing and evaluation methods, programming tools, and system network security.
- Ability to assist Faculty and Network Services director in gathering user requirements and planning and designing computer systems.
- Ability to define proper methods and procedures for the integration, testing, and installation of system modifications.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines when evaluating technical requirements and providing recommendations and solutions.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Doane University is an Equal Opportunities Employer and actively seeks candidates who reflect the diversity of the nation.